In December 2018, Burger King launched a campaign targeting McDonalds customers. Whenever someone with the Burger King app installed on their phone came within 600ft of a McDonalds they would receive a notification offering them a Whopper for 1 cent, and offering directions to the nearest Burger King to redeem it (only once per person). The campaign ran from the 4th to the 12th of December, with “More than 50,000 people have redeemed the deal so far [5th, or first day].”
How Did They Do It?
Pull it apart, and what do we have?
- Someone targeting a specific competitor in the competitive US fast food market,
- A loss-leading discount to get customers to download the app, and
- Using the app and the phone’s location service to selectively activate the discount when the customer is near to purchasing from the targeted competitor.
And the results?
- The app moves from 9th to 1st in the App Store Food and Drink Category, and
- A 30% take up rate on the discount.
Email now to find out how this can be put to work for you.